Syrah-Braised Beef Short Ribs with Garlic Mushrooms paired with our 2017 Grand Assemblage Syrah
Recipe by: Elyssa Ternay
Tasting Room Ambassador & Resident Culinary Expert
This food and wine pairing shows off the fruit forward characteristics of the bold 2017 Grand Assemblage Syrah. I chose the short rib cut, from Eola Crest Cattle Company, because of the fatty and savory flavors that brings out the more delicate side of our Syrah. The peppery accent of this recipe plays on the lingering spice of the wine in a fantastic way. I can’t wait to see what you think!
2017 GRAND ASSEMBLAGE SYRAH TASTING NOTES
PURCHASE THE 2017 GRAND ASSEMBLAGE SYRAH
A Syrah that give back!
As part of our Charitable Giving Program — 10% of all sales from our 2017 Grand Assemblage Syrah will go directly to Family Meal; a local non-profit providing financial relief to Oregon’s foodservice and agricultural workers in a time of crisis. These donations will help our fellow industry members, neighbors and friends who have been directly affected by COVID-19. From our family to yours we hope you enjoy!
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR CHARITABLE GIVING PROGRAM!
Ingredients for Ribs:
- 2 – 8oz Bone in Beef Short Ribs
- We are using Eola Crest Cattle ribs
- Eola Crest Cattle Meat Rub
- Brown sugar, sugar, salt, chili powder, other spices (Eola Crest secret!)
- Salt & Pepper for seasoning
- 2 cup of 2017 Grand Assemblage Syrah
- 2 1/4 cup of Vegetable Stock
- ¼ cup for the sauce
- 1 medium shallot (about ½ cup chopped)
- 3 Cloves of garlic
- ½ Bunch of rosemary
- 2 –3 Tablespoons of salted or unsalted butter
- Your preference
Ingredients for Mushrooms:
- 1- 8 oz package of Baby Bella mushrooms (whole or sliced)
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Dry off the ribs with a paper towel and place in a dry dish. Rub down the ribs with a light coating of salt. Apply a generous coating of Eola Crest Meat Rub on all sides.
- While the meat rests and comes to room temperature you will want to start the mushrooms.
- Slice the mushrooms, Chop the garlic, and rosemary
- Place a medium sauce pan over high heat and add the butter.
- When the butter is almost fully melted add the mushrooms, garlic and rosemary to the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper as you prefer – I use about a tbsp of salt and pepper each. Stir until all is evenly seasoned.
- Turn to low heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- I do this beforehand because I really want the flavor to soak in. Mushrooms are easy to turn back on 15 minutes before you are serving the ribs. IF they dry out at all – no worries! Add a splash of water (or your favorite Dobbes wine!) to rehydrate.
- Once done with the mushroom prep – place a skillet over high heat and add 2-3tbsp of butter to the pan.
- Once hot – add the ribs and brown on all sides
- About 4-5 minutes total
- Transfer the ribs to a parchment lined sheet pan to rest.
- Drain half the fat from the skillet, add the garlic and shallots – Sautee until it starts to brown and then add the wine. Bring the wine and garlic to boil and reduce the liquid by half (ending with about 1/2 cup of wine in the skillet).
- Toss in the rosemary, add vegetable broth and reintroduce the ribs to the pan.
- Turn the heat back up to medium/high and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Cover and place in the oven for 2 ½- 3 hours. Drink some of that Dobbe’s Syrah while you wait!
- Check periodically – you want the meat to fall off the bone when it is done.
- Drink some of that Dobbe’s Syrah while you wait!
- After you take the ribs out of the oven you will want to transfer them to another pan/cutting board and keep them covered. Let the ribs rest while you finish the sauce.
- For the sauce you will want to skim any beef fat off the surface, deglaze with a splash of wine and add ¼ cup of vegetable broth and more rosemary if you wish!
- Let the sauce simmer for 8 minutes on medium heat.
- Add 1 tbsp of butter and stir until incorporated. TASTE! Adjust seasoning as you need.
- Place the ribs back into the pan, cover in the sauce and serve!
- Enjoy with Dobbes 2017 Grand Assemblage Syrah!
Enjoy with Dobbes Family Estate
2017 Grand Assemblage Syrah
Be sure to tag us on social media if you try this recipe at home!
Facebook: @dobbesfamilyestate | Instagram: @dobbeswinery
Recipe by, Elyssa Ternay
Tasting Room Ambassador