From September to November each year Dobbes Family Estate and Wine by Joe hire around 30 seasonal workers to help us sort, punch, ferment, dig and press some of Oregon’s finest fruit to help us produce stellar wines. Our team is unique each year, just like our vintages! We hire folks from our local area, throughout the US and around the world. One of the great advantages of working harvest at Wine by Joe doesn’t just mean you’ll get a fulfilling understanding of how Oregon wine is made, but also build connections with people of different backgrounds and cultures, even friends for life.
Because we operate with two different cellars, harvest interns will have the opportunity to learn the different operations comparing large production to boutique (small) production. Each cellar has its own methods and personalities, but the theories are the same, and both experiences will bring you invaluable learning opportunities. We also have intern positions available in our laboratory where you’ll learn the chemistries and observations of fermentation.
Job Duties include:
- Processing and sorting fruit
- Sanitize equipment, chemical handling
- Racking and transferring with pumps
- Punch downs
- Cleaning, filling and emptying barrels
- Making additions, weighing and measuring chemicals
- Working long hours (night/day, weekdays and weekends)
- Completing and filling out work orders accurately
Successful Candidates Will Have:
- Ability to lift 45 pounds
- Capability of climbing ladders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Both reading and writing comprehension of English
- Attention to detail and can receive and complete work orders accurately
- Basic math skills
- Tolerance for working in extreme temperature environments
- A great attitude and punctuality
- At least 2 harvests experience, though this is not required.
All training is provided on site. This position does not include housing or transportation, but we will endeavor to help you find it should you require it. If you are interested, please send your resume and cover letter to .
“Working at Dobbes allowed me to explore many winemaking techniques and be able to use many instruments with confidence. This experience opened my eyes to the wine industry from a bigger picture, and most importantly I had a lot of fun making great wines with great people!”
Eric Wright (2016 intern) Salem, Oregon