Gluten Free Cast Iron Pizza
Pairing: 2016 Eola-Amity Cuvée Pinot Noir
Serving Size: 2-3, 12 inch pizzas
Created by, Tasting Room Ambassador: Miss Elyssa Ternay
For the Dough:
1 Package of Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix
1 ½ cups of warm water
1 yeast packet (included in the mix)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 large eggs
**Vegan option: combine 2 tbsp flaxseed meal with 6 tablespoons of water – add this to recipe instead of eggs; you can also use ¼ c applesauce per egg if you do not have flaxseed meal.
2 cups of shredded mozzarella
½ cup of tomato sauce
You can make your own or grab some pre-made. I typically go for tomato basil/garlic
Pinch of Salt and Pepper (to taste)
2 vine-ripened tomatoes
*save a little fresh basil to top the pizza with before serving
Optional: Red pepper flakes
2 cups of mozzarella
½ cup of tomato sauce
½ cup of sautéed garlic mushrooms
Grated parmesan for topping
*Ingredients are for ONE pizza – this dough yields 2-3, 10.5 in-12 in pizza’s
** You can make this pizza with whatever toppings you please. I recommend using the first 2 ingredients as starter for any pizza.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Add a little drizzle of olive oil to the cast iron skillet(s) and lightly grease; I sometimes use a paper towel and lightly spread the oil around to ensure full coverage.
- If you do not have a cast iron that is ok – you can use a pizza tray, sheet tray or any oven-safe skillet
- Combine the water and yeast in a large bowl – I do this by hand to ensure there are no lumps of yeast left behind. Let this sit for about 5 minutes, until the yeast is fully dissolved and the water looks cloudy.
- Add the eggs and oil to the yeast mixture. Once combined add the pizza crust mix and stir until fully incorporated. Split the dough in 2 or 3 portions into separate bowls and let it rest for about 20-30 minutes.
- I typically put the bowls on the stove top (not on a burner) as a warm area helps the yeast rise.
- After the dough has risen – place the dough in the middle of an oiled cast iron skillet. Use a piece of plastic wrap to cover the dough and gently start to flatten. Create a crust by gently pushing the dough up along the edges of the skillet.
- The dough is very wet/sticky – the plastic wrap will help you flatten the dough.
- Remove the plastic wrap and par-bake the crust for 8 minutes – or until it starts to show signs of color. Add the toppings!
- For margarita I add the tomato sauce, fresh tomatoes, chopped basil and then cheese on top & top with fresh basil before serving
- For the Mushroom pizza I add the sauce, a little bit of cheese, mushrooms and more cheese. I top with a tiny bit of olive oil, salt and parmesan cheese. *Red pepper flakes can be added to both pizzas
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the crust is nice and golden
- Let the pizzas sit for 5 minutes and allow the cheese to set before cutting.
Enjoy with Dobbes Family Estate
2016 Eola-Amity Cuvée Pinot Noir!
Recipe by Elyssa Ternay
Tasting Room Ambassador
***Also known as Dobbes Family Estate’s Resident Culinary Expert